John F. Mendes, MD
Dr. Mendes is a highly skilled surgeon certified by the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery. He is also a Fellow of American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, a member of the American Medical Association, the New Jersey State Medical Society, the New Jersey Orthopedic Society, the North American Spine Society, the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons and the American Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Society.
After earning his undergraduate degree from Fordham University and attending medical school at Cornell Medical College, Dr. Mendes did an internship at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. He completed his residency for orthopedic surgery at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City, and his fellowship for Adult Reconstructive Spinal Surgery at the Pennsylvania Hospital.
Dr. Mendes is affiliated with Hackensack UMC Mountainside in Montclair, Clara Maass Hospital in Belleville and the Glen Ridge Surgical Center. Dr Mendes serves as the chairman of the Department of Orthopedics at Mountainside Hospital.
Understanding that patients with musculoskeletal pain or deformities require careful evaluation and rational treatment plans, Dr. Mendes is dedicated to mastering the most current information and technology in orthopedics. He performs:
• Total hip and knee replacements, primary and post-traumatic
• Knee arthroscopy
• Trauma reconstruction
• Excision of soft tissue lesions of the extremities and back
• Treatment of musculoskeletal infections
• Limited Hand: Carpal tunnel/trigger finger/Dequervain’s release; excision of soft tissue lesions
• Assist at all complex orthopedic procedures and spine reconstruction
• Primary evaluations and ongoing treatment for injuries/painful conditions of the musculoskeletal system including spine